Learn, Grow and Thrive with a Career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. Our staff members—of all ages and from diverse back grounds and life experiences—enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation’s health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
There are many exciting career opportunities with the YMCA. We have listed our current openings below. If no positions are listed, or you don’t find so
Facility Maintenance Assistant
Assist in maintaining overall safe operation and cleanliness of the facility through general maintenance, inspection and repair. Support the facility/property maintenance department in maintaining upkeep, repair and smooth operation of the Martine Avenue Facility and adjoining rental properties.
- Perform routine and preventative maintenance and inspections as directed
- Ensures day to day upkeep of the facilities and reports any maintenance/repair needs to the Facilities Director. Completes all repairs in a timely manner in order to maintain safety and consistent operation of all facilities.
- Support membership retention through a clean, well-maintained facility and quick support and/or repair of equipment malfunction.
- Remain alert, proactive and responsive to areas in need of upgrade, repair or improvement.
- Assists in ensuring that all pools and whirlpool are clean and safe for operation.
- Assists in ensuring safe and efficient operation of all equipment and mechanical systems.
- On call during designated days & times and reports to the facility to resolve any issues as needed. Assists in responding to facility emergencies as needed.
- Ensure outside grounds are clean, neat, safe and attractive.
- Compelte set-up and break down for YMCA events as scheduled.
- Perform all tasks in a safe manner using OSHA and risk management safety guidelines.
- Attends internal and external training as required by the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA and as needed for the position.
- Follows all safety standards and personnel policies set by the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA.
- Accountable for understanding the organization’s charitable status and mission to assure access for all through active participation in fundraising and philanthropy efforts. YMCA
- Minimum of one year experience in general facility maintenance and/or skilled trade/certification
- Is thorough, detailed, and able to multitask & problem solve
- Demonstrates initiative through solving problems independently
- Organized, team player that possesses initiative & sound judgment.
- Hold a current drivers license with record that meets YMCA standards, and a personal vehicle that may be used for business purposes.
- Requirements upon date of hire include completion of: Child Abuse Prevention trainings, CPR, First Aid, AED, Hazard Communications, Bloodborne Pathogens
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, climb ladders, walk, shovel snow, plow snow, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
The work is performed both indoors and out, and may require travel to various locations. While performing the duties of this job the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
Birthday Party Hosts
We are looking for energetic people to be Birthday Party Hosts who will provide a quality experience for families and children. Birthday parties are held on Saturday afternoons. You can be the life of the party!
- Establishes a positive relationship with parents/children, staff members and volunteers.
- Provide an enjoyable experience while the family/children are participating in a party.
- Oversees supervision of all children; maintain that children are never left alone and are watched at all times.
- Maintain housekeeping after party: damp wipe table surfaces/spills on floor; sweep floor; remove garbage from party room.
- Direct party guests to party rooms/gyms/pool upon their arrival.
- Set up and clean up of tablecloths, paper goods (all-inclusive party).
- Accept delivery of pizza; take cake out of freezer prior to party (all-inclusive party).
- Serve pizza, drinks, cake (all-inclusive party).
- Clean up of food/drinks (all-inclusive party)
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA is seeking experienced Gymnastic Instructors for preschool and school-aged gymnastic classes from beginner through advanced levels. We are looking for instructors who have positive attitudes, are responsible and reliable and love working with kids! Various hours are available including mornings, afternoon/evenings and weekends. The YMCA requires all employees to be current in First Aid & CPR or obtain certification within 30 days of employment and we can provide that training. Coaching opportunities may also be available for qualified candidates.
The Deck Supervisor is responsible for the quality of swim lessons, parent and student engagement and the safety of the pool. This position requires effective communication with staff, volunteers, and parents of program participants; the ability to maintain a professional, respectful, positive attitude toward all members and co-workers; and the ability to supervise, train and evaluate performance of class participants and instructors. Prior experience teaching the Y Swim Lesson Program and Lifeguard certification is necessary.
Water Exercise Instructor
The Water Exercise Instructor is responsible for leading safe and effective exercise classes and for maintaining the highest levels of customer service and professionalism. The ideal candidate will be motivated, energetic, and experienced in teaching to a wide range of ages with the ability to instruct and observe participants in proper skill techniques.
Early Childhood Substitute Teachers
Apply now as a substitute teacher and discover the rewards of accompanying young children through their unique world of exploration, excitement, and delight. Play an important role in the daily routines at our school, working with infants through pre-k aged children! Assist with daily care giving, supervision of designated group, and implementation of curriculum and planned activities under the direct supervision of the Head Teacher. Experience working with children is required. In need of substitutes who are available for early am hours (6:30/6:45am) and late afternoons/evening (3:00pm – 6:30pm).
Looking for a responsible, creative and enthusiastic dance instructor who works well with children ages 3-12. Must be proficient in ballet, tap & jazz; Modern and choreography training a plus. Dance and teaching experience required. Must be able to commit to September-June schedule, plus recitals. If interested, please contact Barbara Breuninger at (908) 889-8880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
YMCA Lifeguards are responsible for maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Responsibilities include creating a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement by maintaining active surveillance of the pool area; knowing and reviewing all emergency procedures and responding to emergency situations; testing pool water chemistry, and maintaining positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff through consistent application of safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Lifeguard certification is required and previous Lifeguard experience is preferred. Minimum age for this position is 16.
Swim Instructors at the Y provide leadership, instruction and motivation for students learning lifelong skills in swimming classes. Responsibilities include teaching swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guide lines, building effective, authentic relationships with students and parents and helping them connect with each other and the YMCA. Previous experience teaching swim lessons is preferred, but training will be provided. Minimum age for this position is 16.
Swim Coaches will work with our 12/under program. Previous coaching experience and/or competitive swimming experience is preferred. Responsibilities include creating practices, attending staff meetings, and coaching meets. Applicants must be available weekday mornings and weekends during the summer and weekday evenings and weekends during fall, winter, and spring.
Health & Safety Instructor
The Instructor is responsible for the instruction of health and safety classes which may include CPR/AED, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen Administration, and Lifeguarding. Current instructor-level certification through the American Red Cross, American Safety & Health Institute or American Heart Association is required. YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification is preferred. For more information, please contact Barbara Breuninger at email@example.com.