Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many of our member guidelines have changed while we work together to help limit the spread of the Coronavirus. Please review the guidelines below and visit Your Safety is Our Priority for the most up-to-date program area guidelines.
The ABCs of the YMCA
The bank/credit card draft plan is a continuous monthly membership plan. The monthly amount is withdrawn on the 1st of each month. If you wish to cancel membership, you must give the YMCA 15 days’ written notice prior to the draft date. If you wish to change your membership type, you must complete a membership change form by the 25th of the month prior to the month you wish to change. It is your responsibility to notify the Y in writing of any change to your bank or credit card accounts.
Check-In and Check-Out Procedures
The Y is a membership facility. All members must check in and check out of the YMCA building using their membership key tag. There are two separate stations for check in and check out located at the Welcome Center.
Child Safe Environment
Code of Conduct
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all members, staff, volunteers and guests. We are a not-for-profit organization that embraces the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. By joining the YMCA, you as a member are agreeing to these values. To promote safety and comfort for all, we ask all individuals to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with these values. If at any time your behavior does not support these values, the YMCA has the right to revoke your membership.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and the new safety protocols and facility procedures in place, we are requiring all members using the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA facility and programs to sign a new Release and Waiver of Legal Liability and Code of Conduct. Please click on the link below to read and sign the Release and Waiver and Code of Conduct. You will need the barcode on your Y membership key tag to access the agreements.
If you have any trouble signing the agreements electronically, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Electronic Devices/Cell Phone Use
Due to the photographic capabilities of cell phones and other electronic devices (including iPods), they are banned from use in all locker and restroom areas. Video recorders, cameras, or any other visual recording devices are not allowed within the YMCA without the consent of a YMCA Program Director and is limited to their program area only. No such device may be used in any locker room at any time. Anyone caught taking pictures of another person without their permission and knowledge will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law by the YMCA and will lead to the termination of their membership.
Guests and Nationwide Members
At this time, due to COVID-19 capacity limits, only active Fanwood-Scotch Plains Y members are allowed to use the facilities and participate in programs. Guests and Nationwide Members are not permitted at this time.
Health Screnening Procedures
All members and staff will undergo a brief health screening before entering the building or taking part in any of our activities. This includes a temperature check and a few quick questions. If you have a temperature of 100.4 or higher, answer yes to any of the questions, or you are required to quarantine based on current travel restrictions, you will be denied access to the YMCA building or outdoor activity.
The Adult Locker Rooms will be open for restroom use ONLY until further notice. The Adult Locker Rooms are for adults age 18 and older only. Please follow the guidelines below for use of the Youth Locker rooms. Family changing rooms are available for adults with children of the opposite gender.
Youth locker rooms can only be used for showering before or changing after lap swimming or swim lessons in Pool 1. Lockers will not be available for use and all belongings must stay with you. Please follow these guidelines for youth locker room use:
- Children under the age of 18 must use the Youth Locker rooms; use of adult locker rooms is not permitted.
- Children age 6 -17 must use the appropriate youth locker room for their gender
- Adult females must use the girl’s locker room and adult males must use the boy’s locker room regardless of the child’s gender.
In order to achieve the maximum benefit from our programs, attendance at every class is highly recommended. Due to the nature of our programs, student to instructor ratios and safety, make-up classes are not available. Credits/refunds will not be given unless the Y cancels the program.
Members and staff are required to wear masks at all times when in the YMCA building, unless there is a medical reason prohibiting them from wearing one. Masks should be removed before entering the pool.
Masks are also required outside the building when a distance of 6 feet cannot be maintained.
Membership ID Cards
All members (adults and children) must present their Y Membership cards to check in and out of the building each time they visit the Y. If a lost card is not located after a 10-day grace period (or 3 manual entries, whichever comes first), a new card will be issued for a fee of $5.00.
Adults associated with a Youth, Teen or Program membership will receive a Y Yellow Card that must be scanned every time they enter the facility. A Yellow Card only provides access to enter the building and does not allow use of the facility or participation in classes.
Safety is everyone’s first concern when it comes to picking up and dropping off your child in the parking lot. The front area is designated for a “stop and drop” and pick-up area. When picking up, please enter through the back of the parking lot (follow the loop all the way to the back). When you see your child at the apron outside, please pull up to the front of the building and pick up, exiting the parking lot straight ahead. If you arrive prior to your child being outside the building, please pull into an established parking spot (not handicapped). Other than drop off or pick up, there is no standing in front of the building.
Please keep in mind that handicapped spaces are only to be used by vehicles displaying official handicapped identification. Park in designated spots only; Illegal parking creates a safety hazard. We reserve the right to tow if necessary.
Lap swimming is available to active members 14 years and older by reservation only. For the health, safety and enjoyment of our members, we ask that everyone please comply with the following new guidelines for Lap swimming:
- Come prepared dressed in swim attire, with your own towel, goggles, water and kickboard/fins, etc.
- Youth locker rooms will only be available for swimmers in Pool 1 for showering before using the pool and changing after swimming. No showering after pool use is allowed. Lockers will not be available for use.
- The Family Changing rooms will be available for members to change after swimming in Pool 2.
- Swimmers in Pool 2 can use the showers and restrooms on deck.
- All personal equipment must remain with you while in the facility.
- Once on the pool deck, you will be provided with a designated area for your belongings.
- Swimmers will be assigned a lane and every other lane will start on opposite ends of the pool. A Y staff member will be present to assist and direct you as well as answer any questions you may have.
- Swim time sessions are presently limited to a maximum of 60 minutes. There will be time in between each swim session to allow for cleaning of the pool deck between member appointment times.
Please click here for a complete list of Lap Swimming Guidelines.
An active, current Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA membership (either Full or Program) is required in order to participate in any class or program offered.
Membership and program fees are non-refundable.
If the Y is closed due to a public health emergency, members will be notified via email and on our website at fspymca.org about their options for membership and program fees.
Credits/Refunds are not given for closings due to inclement weather or weather-related emergencies.
If you cannot attend a program, requests for credits must be submitted, in writing, 7 days prior to the start of the session using a Credit Request form available by emailing email@example.com. Upon the Program Director’s discretion, credits may be issued for medical reasons when in writing and accompanied by a Doctor’s note. Credits will be prorated based on the number of classes attended. All credits are subject to a $10.00 processing fee. Credits are valid for one year from date of issue.
The YMCA reserves the right to cancel programs due to low enrollment. In the event a program is cancelled, a credit/refund will be available (upon written request).
Please refer to the Child Care, School Age Child Care and Camp Program Handbooks for credit information specific to those areas.
If you have a question about credits/refunds during the COVID-19 closure March-June 2020, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If a payment (check, EFT, credit card) is returned for insufficient funds, a $25.00 processing fee will be charged. If two consecutive or three or more payments are returned within a calendar year, payments must be made by cash or money order. Memberships will be canceled if the outstanding balance is not paid within 30 days.
Sex Offender Screening Procedures
Our primary concern is the safety of all the individuals, families and children who come to the Y. That is why all YMCAs conduct regular sex offender screenings on all members, participants and guests. All visitors must provide a state or government-issued photo ID to be run through a national sex offender database before entering the building.
If a sex offender match occurs, the YMCA reserves the right to cancel membership, end program participation and remove visitation access.
When inside the YMCA building, please adhere to social distancing and stay 6 feet away from others, whenever possible. Please follow all directional signage in the YMCA building to help promote social distancing. Many of our hallways are now one-way traffic only.
Swimmers wishing to swim in the deep end must pass a swim test. For swimmer safety, the test will be given at the lifeguard’s discretion and only when there is more than one lifeguard on duty. Upon successful completion of the swim test, the swimmer will receive a green wrist band to wear while swimming. Swimmers who have not taken the test must remain in the shallow end.
$5.00 will be charged for transfers from class to class for each time a transfer occurs and for each individual transferred.
During inclement weather, call the Y at 908-889-8880 for updated information or visit our website or Facebook page. You can also download our Daxko Mobile App (Apple or Android) and subscribe to push notifications to receive facility updates. The Pools and whirlpool will close in the event of an electrical storm.
The Wellness Center is available to Full Members ages 14 and older by reservation only. For the health, safety and enjoyment of our members, we ask that everyone please comply with the following new guidelines for the Wellness Center:
- Members and staff are required to wear masks at all times when in the YMCA building. The Y does not encourage intense activity while wearing a mandated face mask. Please be aware of any health conditions that might be further challenged by wearing a face mask while exercising.
- Members are asked to please follow the new traffic patterns and directional signage to get to the Wellness Center and to leave the YMCA building.
- Members must bring their own water as there will be no access to water fountains.
- Each member will be given a bottle with cleaning solution when they arrive. Members are required to wipe down machines before and after each use. When finished with your workout, please put the cleaning solution bottle in the “Used Bottles Here” designated bin. Staff also will be disinfecting equipment.
- Please maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from others at all times when in the YMCA building. Only one (1) person is permitted on the Wellness Center stairs at a time.
- Due to social distancing mandates, not all pieces of cardio equipment can be in use at one time. Equipment will be marked when not in use.
- Members are asked to bring their own equipment, i.e. mats, towels, water bottles, etc.
Please click here for a complete list of Wellness Center Guidelines.