Free Fitness & Fun
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA is offering the 7th Grade Initiative Program, a free membership for 7th Graders who reside in Clark, Scotch Plains and Fanwood.
Read our full 7th Grade Initiative Brochure here.
- Promote YMCA Character Values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
- Increase physical and mental wellness, while having fun
- Develop and support healthy exercise and eating habits
- Establish a sense of belonging in each teen
- Provide a safe and secure atmosphere
Form Healthy Habits Early On
Seventh grade is a pivotal and transitional time for many teens, a point when they are given freedom to choose how they spend their out-of-school hours. The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA wants to support and encourage kids to make good decisions and form habits that lead to an overall healthy lifestyle. The 7th Grade Initiative program provides opportunities for fitness and life skills training, as well as an opportunity to socialize with peers in a safe, supervised and conveniently located environment.
This program runs from September 2022-June 2023. Activities include:
- Free programming included with membership: open gym, open swim, Teen Wellness and special pop-up classes and games throughout the year.
- Fee-based programming for teens include:
- Middle School Cross Country and Spring Track
- Teen Yoga and Teen Cycle
- Swim Lessons and Aquatic Conditioning
- Gymnastics– classes and club
Please check our most recent brochure for all of our current offerings.
This free membership demonstrates our commitment to the healthy development of the whole person. Free 7th Grade membership is largely supported through donations to our Annual Support Campaign.
It’s easy to get started.
Bring the following to the YMCA Welcome Center to activate your membership:
1. Your school ID, roster or report card (if your school is outside of Scotch Plains, Fanwood or Clark, please bring proof of residence)
2. A parent/guardian*
4. Complete a few quick forms and begin your membership! Access our application here and bring the completed form with you to speed up your membership process.
Questions? Please call us at 908-889-8880.
*Both parent/guardian and 7th grader must be present to activate membership.