During the COVID-19 pandemic, our doors may be closed, but our Y is open for good. We are here for our members, staff and community now more than ever. With ongoing support to our We Are Y Strong campaign, along with our members who continue to stay with us during this time, we have become a “Y without walls” and have been able to reach out and assist our community in a number of ways.
Support the below efforts by clicking GIVE TODAY and selecting the We Are Y Strong campaign.
Here are some of the ways we are open for good:
- Our team members have made over 2,000 phone calls to check in on our members, and have visited numerous Y members outside their home to brighten their day and see what they might need.
- We’ve collected eight pick-up trucks full – and counting – of non-perishable food items for local food pantries over the past two months.
- Our blood drive, in partnership with the American Red Cross, brought in 50 individuals who donated 40 pints of blood, which will help 120 people.
- For over 8 weeks, we have conducted virtual YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program classes and
our participants are thriving – 10 have lost at least 5%, some up to 10% of their body weight, reducing their chance of being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
- We continue to engage our LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA participants, providing cancer survivors in our community with weekly social calls and workouts to help them continue healing in mind, body and spirit.
- Along with community partners, we collected over
100 extension cords and phone charges for local hospitals, along with hundreds of hair ties for nurses on the front lines of the pandemic.
- We partnered with the Fanwood-Scotch Plains Rotary Club to distribute masks to our members who were unable to find any, and also distributed masks to help other community service organizations.
- We have helped over 500 individuals stay healthy, active, engaged and inspired through our Healthy at Home and Family at Home Facebook groups.
- We continue to support members of our team who have been financially impacted by the pandemic by assisting with emergent needs such as food costs through our newly established
Emergency Assistance Fund.
- To help people stay strong and active, our team members have conducted over 20 hours of live group exercise classes, and continue to offer more each week.
- We now offer over 150 videos on health and wellness, cooking, gardening and family fun on our YouTube channel and are adding more all the time.
- We hosted our virtual United For A Cause 5K and Family 1-Miler, which is part of the Scotch Plains Mayors Wellness Campaign and held in conjunction with the Scotch Plains-Fanwood PTA Council.
- Our Gymnastics Team continues to meet virtually each week to keep conditioning with exercise drills, practice skills and socialize, as well as at-home challenges to keep them moving. They also have participated in several birthday parades to keep up team morale and support one another.
- Our Swim Team is consistently engaging its team members with virtual dryland workouts for swimmers several times per week. Team members also meet virtually each week to stay connected, focused and having fun.