All of us at the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA hope you, your families and friends are staying safe and healthy during this global health crisis! FSPY has been closed since March 16, 2020 in response to NJ Executive Order No.104 and will remain closed until further notice.
For more than 70 years, the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA has been a cornerstone of the community. Anyone who comes through our doors finds the support they need to learn, grow and thrive. Our donor-supported financial assistance program ensures that no one is ever turned away from a Y membership or program due to financial hardship. As a member of the Y, you are a member of a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to strengthening our community. Our doors may be closed, but our mission and our Y continues.
We are still here for the community. We are providing new ways to help you stay connected, active and healthy, checking-in on our members’ well-being and working with community partners to help those in need during this crisis.
We have continued monthly membership fees while shifting to a virtual YMCA and supporting community needs. As we work to continue to serve you and be a support for the community, we respectfully ask you to keep your membership active so that we can remain fully focused on our efforts to help our community stay strong in spirit, mind and body. Our initiatives to help our members, staff and community during this time are outlined below.
We know that you are dealing with all the same uncertainties as we are and may need to change your membership, therefore, we want to provide you with the following membership choices.
Your Membership Choices
Option 1. Stay with us and continue your membership fees
A complete loss of revenue would be devastating for a non-profit organization such as ours, and this is why we have been asking you to stay with us during this time and continue to pay your monthly membership fee.
Even with our doors closed, FSPY has over $350,000 in monthly expenses, including insurance, maintenance and utilities to name a few. When open, our Y employs close to 400 people and serves nearly 10,000 local individuals. By paying your membership, you’ll help us reopen our doors just as strong as before. We can’t do it without you!
If you choose this option, your membership will continue and you do not have to do anything but accept our deep gratitude. If you would like to convert your monthly membership fees to a tax-deductible donation to support the Y’s services and operations through our closure, you can click here to donate your membership fees.
If you continue your membership now, but wish to put it on hold at a later date, you can simply return to this page to choose one of the options below or email us at email@example.com.
Option 2: Place your membership on temporary hold
We know during these uncertain times, continuing Y membership payments is not always a possibility and there are tremendous financial hardships being felt by our members. If you need to put your membership on hold, we understand. Family and financial stability comes first during this time.
You can place your membership on a temporary hold at no charge until the Y is able to re-open. Once we open, your membership will be reactivated and monthly billing will resume. Please submit this form to request a temporary membership hold.
Please submit your membership hold request before the 30th of the month to stop the auto-draft process for the next month, which is drafted on the 15th. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Option 3: Cancel Your Membership
We understand that there may be circumstances that require you to cancel your membership. During the COVID-19 closure, we are waiving the requirement for 30-days’ notice. Please submit your request before the 30th of the month to stop payment for the next month, which occurs on the 15th. If you rejoin within 90 days of the Y reopening, you will be not be assessed a Joiner’s fee. Please submit this form to cancel your membership.
Note: If your child is enrolled in Child Care, School Age Child Care, or Summer Camp and you would like to keep their spot in the program, please choose the membership hold option.
Support the Y with a tax-deductible donation
Whatever you decide about membership, please consider making a tax-deductible donation to help support the Y. Any amount, great or small, will help us now and into the future.
Your donation to our “We Are Y Strong” campaign will go toward supporting the Y’s services and operations through our closure, including our new Emergency Assistance Fund for FSPY team members who are most impacted by the Y’s closure and COVID-19.
If you would like to contribute, please click here, complete the online form and select the “We Are Y Strong” campaign.
Here for You and the Community
During these challenging times, we are committed to helping our Y family of all ages, levels and abilities to stay active and healthy in spirit, mind, and body. We are shifting our focus to offer:
- On-demand exercise workouts with your favorite FSPY instructors on our YouTube Channel.
- Access to YMCA 360, a new virtual initiative led by Ys across the country. It’s your favorite classes with top instructors now available online.
- Healthy at Home Facebook Group to give you regular wellness and fitness updates as well as live classes and a forum to have your health and fitness questions answered.
- Health, fitness and family resources on our Facebook page including our daily Y Morning Workout at Home and Family friendly games and activities.
- Our Family at Home page and FSPY Family at Home Facebook group provide inspiration, tips, activities, links, and resources for the whole family.
- Healthy recipes from our registered dietitian in Donna’s Virtual Cookbook
- A weekly email that rounds-up our best workouts and resources. Sign up to receive emails!
- Visit our Healthy at Home page to see all that we have to offer!
In addition to providing health and wellness resources, our ongoing efforts to support our members and the community include:
- Reaching out to our members, including seniors and those who are most vulnerable, to check in on their well-being.
- Hosting virtual support groups for our Diabetes, MS and LIVESTRONG(r) at the YMCA participants.
- Supporting our Y’s competitive teams with at-home conditioning workouts and virtual meetings.
- Donated personal protective equipment from our YMCA to help essential workers.
- Partnering with the towns of Fanwood, Scotch Plains and the Rotary Club to collect donations for Overlook Hospital and Immaculate Heart of Mary Food Bank.
- Working with the American Red Cross to host Blood Drives at our Y.
We are continuing to work on ways to support the community and will keep you updated through email, our website, and Facebook Page.
We wish we could tell you today the date when our Y will reopen. Once it is safe and we are prepared to open, we will let all of our members know. Please be on the look out for further communications from our Y as we do our best to keep you updated on the latest news and happenings. If you do not currently receive emails from the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA, please sign up here to receive important information and updates.
Thank you for being a part of the Y family and for your continued support! We can’t wait to welcome you back through our doors when we reopen. We couldn’t do this without our members and friends.
Our community truly is better when we all join together.