Learn, Grow and Thrive with a Career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. Our staff members—of all ages and from diverse back grounds and life experiences—enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation’s health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
Learn more about why the Y is a great place to work by viewing our short video here.
There are many exciting career opportunities with the YMCA. We have listed our current openings below.
Birthday Party Hosts – Part Time
We are looking for energetic people to be Birthday Party Hosts who will provide a quality experience for families and children. Birthday parties are held on Saturday afternoons. You can be the life of the party!
- Establishes a positive relationship with parents/children, staff members and volunteers.
- Provide an enjoyable experience while the family/children are participating in a party.
- Oversees supervision of all children; maintain that children are never left alone and are watched at all times.
- Maintain housekeeping after party: damp wipe table surfaces/spills on floor; sweep floor; remove garbage from party room.
- Direct party guests to party rooms/gyms/pool upon their arrival.
- Set up and clean up of tablecloths, paper goods (all-inclusive party).
- Accept delivery of pizza; take cake out of freezer prior to party (all-inclusive party).
- Serve pizza, drinks, cake (all-inclusive party).
- Clean up of food/drinks (all-inclusive party)
Child Watch Supervisor – Part Time
The Child Watch Supervisor reports to the Child Watch Coordinator and will oversee the Child Watch room during evening and weekend hours. The Child Watch Supervisor will be responsible for providing a safe and enjoyable environment for members and their children in the Child Watch room. The Child Watch Supervisor ensures that all child watch safety procedures, check-in processes and staff to child ratios are followed and handles and resolves any issues or concerns with staff or members. The Child Watch Supervisor provides a quality experience for members and children focused on the YMCA core values: respect, responsibility, honesty and caring.
- Oversees Child Watch services and provides support and supervision of child watch staff during evening and weekend hours.
- Maintains safety procedures in accordance with Child Watch room policies.
- Maintains organization, cleanliness and safety in the Child Watch Room.
- Maintains a positive environment and a high level of care and engagement with children.
- Greets parents dropping off and picking up children, checks them into the Child Watch room, introduces new members to the child watch policies and makes children feel welcome.
- Handles and resolves concerns and informs supervisor of unusual situations or unresolved issues.
- Assists Child Watch Coordinator with evening/weekend staff schedules and staff communication.
- Carry out any additional duties as requested by Child Watch Coordinator.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Relates effectively with young children
- Previous child care experience
- Previous supervisory experience
- Possesses excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Relates to members and staff in a positive manner
- Basic knowledge of computers
- Maintains a consistent professional image through dress, actions, and relationships with others
- Requirements of employment include Completion of Child Abuse Prevention trainings, CPR, First
Aid, AED and blood borne pathogens within 30 days of hire.
Dance Instructor – Part Time
Looking for a responsible, creative and enthusiastic dance instructor who works well with children ages 3-12. Must be proficient in ballet, tap & jazz; Modern and choreography training a plus. Dance and teaching experience required. Must be able to commit to September-June schedule, plus recitals. If interested, please contact Jennifer Glander at (908) 889-8880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deck Supervisor – Part Time
The Deck Supervisor is responsible for the quality of swim lessons, parent and student engagement and the safety of the pool. This position requires effective communication with staff, volunteers, and parents of program participants; the ability to maintain a professional, respectful, positive attitude toward all members and co-workers; and the ability to supervise, train and evaluate performance of class participants and instructors. Prior experience teaching the Y Swim Lesson Program and Lifeguard certification is necessary.
Early Childhood Teachers
Apply now to begin your journey as an early childhood professional at the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA Educational Child Care Center. Each day as a teacher you will share your passion for educating young children while having fun and experiencing the Y’s unique, innovative and supportive environment. Work with a team of child care professionals to make a difference in the lives of children and families, creating high-quality, developmentally appropriate programs for children. Candidates must have 2 or more years of experience working with infants and toddlers in an early childhood educational setting. Ideal candidate should have experience implementing age-appropriate lesson plans, be comfortable communicating with parents and colleagues on a daily basis, friendly and have a caring and nurturing personality.
Early Childhood Substitute Teachers
Apply now as a substitute teacher and discover the rewards of accompanying young children through their unique world of exploration, excitement and delight. Play an important role in the daily routines at our school, working with infants through pre-k aged children! Assist with daily care giving, supervision of designated group and implementation of curriculum and planned activities under the direct supervision of the Head Teacher. Experience working with children is required.
Group Fitness Instructors – Part Time
Evenings/Weekends – Cycle, Yoga, Zumba
Instructs group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA’s core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
- Engage in active listening with members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA. Have knowledge of class schedules and other departments/services at the YMCA.
- Keeps accurate class attendance records. Assure careful assimilation of new members into class. Report low attendance to Fitness Director, with knowledge that classes with less than 5 participants are subject to cancellation.
- Punctual set up and break down of class. Obtain substitutes when needed and substitute for others as possible. Notifies Fitness Director of substitute.
- Respond to emergency situations. Provide Fitness Director with incident/accident reports on the same day as the incident.
- Attend all mandatory staff meetings with Senior Program Director, Fitness Director and other fitness staff.
- Maintain fitness certifications in program areas and provides Fitness Director with updated certifications as needed. Maintains CPR and First Aid certifications.
- Required certifications: CPR, First Aid, AED, national certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification.
- Training and competence in areas of expertise.
- YMCA Healthy Lifestyles certification within 60 days of hire recommended.
- At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes preferred.
Facilities Director – Full Time
The Facilities Director leads the maintenance and improvement operations of all YMCA facilities and properties, including preventative maintenance and related budgets. Supports member and staff satisfaction by ensuring excellence in safety, security, cleanliness and attractiveness of Y property.
1. College degree in facilities management, property management or equivalent.
2. Five or more years of experience in facilities management or closely related field.
3. Five or more years of experience of successful staff management.
4. Possesses excellent communication and customer service skills to work with staff, members, vendors, volunteers and board members.
5. Proficiency in maintaining and completing most minor repairs and maintenance of HVAC, mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, carpentry, and other maintenance-related areas.
6. Skilled in supervision, budget management and project management.
7. Possess current POOL or CPO certifications or must obtain within 120 days of employment.
8. Proficient with building codes, construction, safety practices, standards and techniques relating to buildings maintenance operation.
9. Experience managing sub-contractors, soliciting quotes and contract negotiations.
10. Familiarity with personal computers including ability to create and manage Excel spreadsheets, Word documents, and preventative maintenance programs.
11. Hold a current drivers license with record that meets YMCA standards, and a personal vehicle that may be used for business purposes.
12. Resides within a 10-mile radius (or 15 minute drive time) of the YMCA and is able to rapidly respond to safety and emergency situations.
13. Ability to be on call 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to respond to and manage facility/property emergencies.
1. Oversees maintenance, upkeep and repair of the main YMCA facility and 3 rental properties, ensuring they are safe, clean and operable.
2. Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs assigned staff and volunteers. Reviews and evaluates performance.
3. Schedules staff to achieve optimal customer service and proactive attentiveness to maintenance issues.
4. Ensures that all Maintenance Department operations are consistent with the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA procedures; this includes, but is not limited to risk management, insurance, accident/incident reporting, purchasing, Human Resources and payroll procedures, and accounting standards.
5. Develop and manage a budget that supports the preventative and annual maintenance plans and monitor expenditures against the budget.
6. Provides overall coordination of facility maintenance, including planning and developing all preventativemaintenance plans.
7. Inspects facilities, properties and grounds daily for risk management, repair and maintenance. Maintains detailed logs of service and repair needs as well as timelines for repair.
8. Ensures that the pools and whirlpool are operational within safety guidelines and that water clarity, temperature and chemicals are within appropriate range according to the NJ Bather Code guidelines.
9. Completes repair work and projects in a timely manner and within budget expectations. Oversees all contractors that work in the facility and grounds. May request and review bids, and recommend selection of contractors.
10. Works with outside agencies such as fire, health, building depts., etc. to ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations related to facilities and grounds.
11. Develop and maintain all records relating to equipment purchase, inspection and repair. Ensures that all equipment is maintained and operated in accordance with the policies and procedures of the YMCA.
12. Develop and maintain an asset replacement plan and ensure regular quality checks are completed for all equipment and grounds.
13. Advises management on long and short term maintenance issues, concerns and projects.
14. Responds to facility emergencies including, but not limited to, plumbing, alarm activations, electrical, mechanical and HVAC, to ensure limited interruptions to facility operation.
15. Updates facility plans periodically. May develop annual plan of capital projects, consistent with the YMCA’s strategic plan and community needs.
16. Serve as an active member of the Y Leadership Team as well as the Buildings and Grounds Committee.
17. Participates in staff committee meetings as deemed necessary.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with framework for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Possess current POOL or CPO certifications or must obtain within 120 days of employment.
Gymnastic Instructor – Part Time
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA is seeking experienced Gymnastic Instructors for preschool and school-aged gymnastic classes from beginner through advanced levels. We are looking for instructors who have positive attitudes, are responsible and reliable and love working with kids! Various hours are available including mornings, afternoon/evenings and weekends. The YMCA requires all employees to be current in First Aid & CPR or obtain certification within 30 days of employment and we can provide that training. Coaching opportunities may also be available for qualified candidates.
Health & Safety Instructor – Part Time
The Instructor is responsible for the instruction of health and safety classes which may include CPR/AED, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen Administration, and Lifeguarding. Current instructor-level certification through the American Red Cross, American Safety & Health Institute or American Heart Association is required. YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification is preferred. For more information, please contact Ellen Daudelin at email@example.com.
Lifeguards – Part Time
YMCA Lifeguards are responsible for maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Responsibilities include creating a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement by maintaining active surveillance of the pool area; knowing and reviewing all emergency procedures and responding to emergency situations; testing pool water chemistry, and maintaining positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff through consistent application of safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Lifeguard certification is required and previous Lifeguard experience is preferred. Minimum age for this position is 16.
Membership Representative – Part Time
The Membership Representative is responsible for creating a welcoming environment and delivering excellent service to all visitors.
This is a part-time position that includes weekend hours and opening/closing shifts. The membership representative provides a quality experience focused on the YMCA core values: respect, responsibility, honesty and caring.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with members, staff, guests, volunteers, donors, board members, and community leaders.
- Follows Welcome Center procedures for opening/closing the building
- Grant facility access to members, staff and guests with a focus on safety and security
- Conduct facility tours for prospective new members and invites potential members to join the Y.
- Understand and share membership and program information
- Answer member inquiries and phone calls, and connect to the appropriate staff person
- Accurately complete program registrations and member transactions
- Create a quality member experience by ensuring a clean and organized Welcome Center
- Handles and resolves membership concerns and informs supervisor of unusual situations or unresolved issues
- Assists with any additional duties as requested by Membership Engagement Director
- Maintains a consistent professional image through dress, actions, and relationships with others. Advocate for the Y and participate in fundraisers & promotional events
1. Must be at least 21 years of age
2. At least 2 years’ experience in customer service, sales or related industry required.
3. Must demonstrate excellent communication and listening skills to understand and address the needs of members, guests and staff
4. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
5. Demonstrate high degree of accuracy and professionalism when handling financial and personal information.
6. Experience using Microsoft Office software. Daxko or CCC software experience preferred
7. Telephone system operating experience
8. Requirements of employment include completion of Child Abuse Prevention trainings and CPR/First Aid/AED/blood borne pathogens certifications within 30 days of hire.
School Age Child Care Counselors – Part Time
Provide direct supervision of a group of children during the School Age Child Care Program. Provides a quality experience to children and parents focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Provide supervision of a group of children in the program at all times.
- Plans and implements indoor and outdoor program activities that are developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Attend 20 hours of staff training and development in child growth and development, positive discipline and health and safety procedures.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Reports any and all incidents or accidents to the Site Supervisor.
- Maintains positive relations with parents and other staff. Models relationship-building skills
- Is acquainted with the organization, the equipment, the personnel, and environment of the site.
- Participate and set a positive example that will influence favorable conduct by the children.
- Dresses appropriately for activities, avoiding extremism in clothing, jewelry and shoes.
- Obtain training in the Listen First program and implement it into everyday interactions at the YMCA
- Accountable for understanding the organization’s charitable status and mission to assure access for all through active participation in fundraising and philanthropy efforts.
SACC COUNSELOR QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum age 16.
- Possess basic experience working with children.
- Complete CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of employment.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- Ability to communicate with parents and relate effectively with the children in the program.
- Ability to work as a team with other YMCA staff members.
Seeking multiple candidates to fulfill the following schedules. All positions are Monday through Friday. Please specify schedule preference(s) below on application.
Morning Care Elementary Schools: 6:45 am to 8:45 am
After Care Elementary Schools: 2:45 pm to 6:30 pm
After Care Middle Schools: 2:20 pm to 6:30 pm
School Age Child Care Site Supervisors
Administers the School Age Child Care Program in a manner that ensures a safe, quality experience to children and parents focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Provide support and supervision to counselors.
- Become acquainted with the organization, the equipment, the personnel, setting, and the environment of the site and the mission of the YMCA.
- Ensure YMCA policies and procedures are followed, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Conduct a yearly evaluation of all staff under their direction. Report results to the Program Director.
- Ensure program standards are upheld including health, safety and cleanliness standards. Maintain a safe, orderly environment with the children supervised at all times.
- Attend the state required 20 hours of training and development in child growth and development, positive discipline and health/safety procedures.
- Attend all required staff meetings throughout the year.
- Accountable for daily attendance reports and report daily absences by calling the parent.
- Plan, organize and procure materials, within monthly assigned budget, for the execution of daily age-appropriate activities.
- Responsible for any and all paperwork/information required by the Department of Youth and Family Services under their licensing guidelines.
- Be aware of staff schedules to ensure the site is in compliance with state mandated staff/child ratios.
- Report and record all incidents and accidents at the site.
- Maintain positive relations with parents and other staff. Models relationship-building skills.
- Maintain positive relationships with school personnel (office staff, teachers, custodians, principals).
- Assume any other responsibilities necessary on a day to day basis during emergency and alternate situations.
- Motivate staff in their daily functions.
- Obtain training in the Listen First program and implement it into everyday interactions at the YMCA.
- Accountable for understanding the organization’s charitable status and mission to assure access for all through active participation in fundraising and philanthropy efforts.
SACC SITE SUPERVISOR QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum age 18.
- Minimum of high school diploma.
- Minimum of three years of experience working in a licensed child care/camp setting
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention trainings.
- Ability to effectively lead and communicate with parents and school officials and relate effectively with the children in the program.
- Ability to work as a leader within the group and as a team with other YMCA staff members.
Sports Instructors – Part Time
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA is seeking Sports Instructors to assist in providing instruction of youth sports programs, officiating youth sports events/games and supervising adult sport programming. We are looking for instructors who have positive attitudes, are responsible and reliable and love working with people! Various hours are available including mornings, afternoon/evenings and weekends. The YMCA requires all employees to be current in First Aid & CPR or obtain certification within 30 days of employment and we can provide that training.
Swim Coaches – Part Time
Swim Coaches will work with our 12/under program. Previous coaching experience and/or competitive swimming experience is preferred. Responsibilities include creating practices, attending staff meetings, and coaching meets. Applicants must be available weekday mornings and weekends during the summer and weekday evenings and weekends during fall, winter, and spring.
Swim Instructor – Part Time
Swim Instructors at the Y provide leadership, instruction and motivation for students learning lifelong skills in swimming classes. Responsibilities include teaching swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guide lines, building effective, authentic relationships with students and parents and helping them connect with each other and the YMCA. Previous experience teaching swim lessons is preferred, but training will be provided. Minimum age for this position is 16.
Water Exercise Instructor – Part Time
The Water Exercise Instructor is responsible for leading safe and effective exercise classes and for maintaining the highest levels of customer service and professionalism. The ideal candidate will be motivated, energetic, and experienced in teaching to a wide range of ages with the ability to instruct and observe participants in proper skill techniques.