Learn, Grow and Thrive with a Career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. Our staff members—of all ages and from diverse back grounds and life experiences—enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation’s health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
There are many exciting career opportunities with the YMCA. We have listed our current openings below.
Associate Aquatics Director
This full-time exempt position assists in the development, organization and implementation of high quality, member-focused YMCA aquatic programs.
- Assist in recruiting, hiring, training, developing, scheduling and directing personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Assist in monitoring daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Assist in the calculation, design and monitoring of the program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Assist in the supervision of aquatic staff and assure all scheduled shifts are properly covered. Substitute, instruct, and assist in all aspects of aquatics programming and lifeguarding as needed.
- Ensure that Lifeguards and Swim Instructors receive appropriate training and education to provide high quality aquatic programs.
- Deliver Lifeguard certification program to staff and the community.
- Host Lifeguard in-service trainings monthly and maintain required documentation.
- Help ensure that all pools are fully utilized and that pool schedules complement each other and maximize member benefit.
- Document data as necessary to maximize pool schedules and class programming and help the Aquatic Director ensure all aquatic registrations are organized and accurate.
- Assist in developing fun and innovative ways in which to attract a progressively higher number of families into family aquatic activities.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Participates in staff committee meetings as deemed necessary.
- Minimum age 21 with at least 2 years of experience and proven success in a leadership role that includes supervision; for example as an aquatics coordinator.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience teaching swim lessons to all age groups and levels
- Requirements upon date of hire include: completion of: Child Abuse Prevention trainings; Lifeguard, CPR; First Aid; AED; Oxygen Administration; Bloodborne Pathogens.
- Current Instructor certification (or ability to obtain within 90 days of employment) for YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguard and Y Swim Lesson Instructor
- Must have or be willing to obtain within one year: Pool Operator Certification
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
CLASSROOM TEACHER FOR TODDLER ROOM
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA is seeking to hire a part-time Toddler Teacher to work from 2:45 pm – 6:00pm, Monday through Friday. Candidates ideally will have 2 or more years of experience in the specified classroom.
Ideal Toddler Teacher candidate has experience with toilet training, prior experience working with young children, implementing age appropriate activities, be comfortable communicating with parents on daily basis, must be friendly and have caring and nurturing personality. CPR/First Aid is a plus, childcare experience is a must!
The right candidate should have a friendly personality, be self-motivated, enjoy working with children, and able to develop & implement lesson plans.
- Implements curriculum within the established guidelines.
- Designs and implements daily lesson/activity plans. Provides direction and leadership to teacher’s aides/assistants.
- Supervises the children, classroom, and all activities.
- Makes ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child.
- Maintains positive relationships and effective communication with parents through daily interaction, newsletters, and parent meetings. Engages parents as volunteers and create positive connection between existing families and perspective students/families.
- Maintains program site and equipment including ensuring necessary supplies are in stock, organizing and decorating classrooms.
- Maintains required program records.
- Attends and participates in program activities, special events, staff meetings, and staff training.
- Completes minimum annual requirements for continuing education as mandated by the state.
- All other duties as assigned by the Preschool/Childcare Director.
Minimum of high school diploma required.
Minimum age 18.
Two or more years’ experience working with children in a developmental setting.
Requirements upon date of hire include: completion of Child Abuse Prevention trainings; CPR; First Aid; AED; Bloodborne Pathogens.
Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
Previous experience with diverse populations. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
Facility Maintenance Assistant
Assist in maintaining overall safe operation and cleanliness of the facility through general maintenance, inspection and repair. Support the facility/property maintenance department in maintaining upkeep, repair and smooth operation of the Martine Avenue Facility and adjoining rental properties.
- Perform routine and preventative maintenance and inspections as directed
- Ensures day to day upkeep of the facilities and reports any maintenance/repair needs to the Facilities Director. Completes all repairs in a timely manner in order to maintain safety and consistent operation of all facilities.
- Support membership retention through a clean, well-maintained facility and quick support and/or repair of equipment malfunction.
- Remain alert, proactive and responsive to areas in need of upgrade, repair or improvement.
- Assists in ensuring that all pools and whirlpool are clean and safe for operation.
- Assists in ensuring safe and efficient operation of all equipment and mechanical systems.
- On call during designated days & times and reports to the facility to resolve any issues as needed. Assists in responding to facility emergencies as needed.
- Ensure outside grounds are clean, neat, safe and attractive.
- Compelte set-up and break down for YMCA events as scheduled.
- Perform all tasks in a safe manner using OSHA and risk management safety guidelines.
- Attends internal and external training as required by the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA and as needed for the position.
- Follows all safety standards and personnel policies set by the Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA.
- Accountable for understanding the organization’s charitable status and mission to assure access for all through active participation in fundraising and philanthropy efforts. YMCA
- Minimum of one year experience in general facility maintenance and/or skilled trade/certification
- Is thorough, detailed, and able to multitask & problem solve
- Demonstrates initiative through solving problems independently
- Organized, team player that possesses initiative & sound judgment.
- Hold a current drivers license with record that meets YMCA standards, and a personal vehicle that may be used for business purposes.
- Requirements upon date of hire include completion of: Child Abuse Prevention trainings, CPR, First Aid, AED, Hazard Communications, Bloodborne Pathogens
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for an extended period of time, climb ladders, walk, shovel snow, plow snow, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity.
The work is performed both indoors and out, and may require travel to various locations. While performing the duties of this job the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
Birthday Party Hosts
We are looking for energetic people to be Birthday Party Hosts who will provide a quality experience for families and children. Birthday parties are held on Saturday afternoons. You can be the life of the party!
- Establishes a positive relationship with parents/children, staff members and volunteers.
- Provide an enjoyable experience while the family/children are participating in a party.
- Oversees supervision of all children; maintain that children are never left alone and are watched at all times.
- Maintain housekeeping after party: damp wipe table surfaces/spills on floor; sweep floor; remove garbage from party room.
- Direct party guests to party rooms/gyms/pool upon their arrival.
- Set up and clean up of tablecloths, paper goods (all-inclusive party).
- Accept delivery of pizza; take cake out of freezer prior to party (all-inclusive party).
- Serve pizza, drinks, cake (all-inclusive party).
- Clean up of food/drinks (all-inclusive party)
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA is seeking experienced Gymnastic Instructors for preschool and school-aged gymnastic classes from beginner through advanced levels. We are looking for instructors who have positive attitudes, are responsible and reliable and love working with kids! Various hours are available including mornings, afternoon/evenings and weekends. The YMCA requires all employees to be current in First Aid & CPR or obtain certification within 30 days of employment and we can provide that training. Coaching opportunities may also be available for qualified candidates.
The Deck Supervisor is responsible for the quality of swim lessons, parent and student engagement and the safety of the pool. This position requires effective communication with staff, volunteers, and parents of program participants; the ability to maintain a professional, respectful, positive attitude toward all members and co-workers; and the ability to supervise, train and evaluate performance of class participants and instructors. Prior experience teaching the Y Swim Lesson Program and Lifeguard certification is necessary.
Water Exercise Instructor
The Water Exercise Instructor is responsible for leading safe and effective exercise classes and for maintaining the highest levels of customer service and professionalism. The ideal candidate will be motivated, energetic, and experienced in teaching to a wide range of ages with the ability to instruct and observe participants in proper skill techniques.
Early Childhood Substitute Teachers
Apply now as a substitute teacher and discover the rewards of accompanying young children through their unique world of exploration, excitement, and delight. Play an important role in the daily routines at our school, working with infants through pre-k aged children! Assist with daily care giving, supervision of designated group, and implementation of curriculum and planned activities under the direct supervision of the Head Teacher. Experience working with children is required. In need of substitutes who are available for early am hours (6:30/6:45am) and late afternoons/evening (3:00pm – 6:30pm).
Looking for a responsible, creative and enthusiastic dance instructor who works well with children ages 3-12. Must be proficient in ballet, tap & jazz; Modern and choreography training a plus. Dance and teaching experience required. Must be able to commit to September-June schedule, plus recitals. If interested, please contact Barbara Breuninger at (908) 889-8880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
YMCA Lifeguards are responsible for maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Responsibilities include creating a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement by maintaining active surveillance of the pool area; knowing and reviewing all emergency procedures and responding to emergency situations; testing pool water chemistry, and maintaining positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff through consistent application of safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Lifeguard certification is required and previous Lifeguard experience is preferred. Minimum age for this position is 16.
Swim Instructors at the Y provide leadership, instruction and motivation for students learning lifelong skills in swimming classes. Responsibilities include teaching swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guide lines, building effective, authentic relationships with students and parents and helping them connect with each other and the YMCA. Previous experience teaching swim lessons is preferred, but training will be provided. Minimum age for this position is 16.
Swim Coaches will work with our 12/under program. Previous coaching experience and/or competitive swimming experience is preferred. Responsibilities include creating practices, attending staff meetings, and coaching meets. Applicants must be available weekday mornings and weekends during the summer and weekday evenings and weekends during fall, winter, and spring.
Health & Safety Instructor
The Instructor is responsible for the instruction of health and safety classes which may include CPR/AED, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen Administration, and Lifeguarding. Current instructor-level certification through the American Red Cross, American Safety & Health Institute or American Heart Association is required. YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification is preferred. For more information, please contact Ellen Daudelin at email@example.com.
School Age Child Care Counselors
Provide direct supervision of a group of children during the School Age Child Care Program. Provides a quality experience to children and parents focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Provide supervision of a group of children in the program at all times.
- Plans and implements indoor and outdoor program activities that are developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Attend 20 hours of staff training and development in child growth and development, positive discipline and health and safety procedures.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Reports any and all incidents or accidents to the Site Supervisor.
- Maintains positive relations with parents and other staff. Models relationship-building skills
- Is acquainted with the organization, the equipment, the personnel, and environment of the site.
- Participate and set a positive example that will influence favorable conduct by the children.
- Dresses appropriately for activities, avoiding extremism in clothing, jewelry and shoes.
- Obtain training in the Listen First program and implement it into everyday interactions at the YMCA
- Accountable for understanding the organization’s charitable status and mission to assure access for all through active participation in fundraising and philanthropy efforts.
SACC COUNSELOR QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum age 16.
- Possess basic experience working with children.
- Complete CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of employment.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- Ability to communicate with parents and relate effectively with the children in the program.
- Ability to work as a team with other YMCA staff members.
Seeking multiple candidates to fulfill the following schedules. All positions are Monday through Friday. Please specify schedule preference(s) below on application.
Morning Care Elementary Schools: 6:45 am to 8:45 am
After Care Elementary Schools: 2:45 pm to 6:30 pm
After Care Middle Schools: 2:20 pm to 6:30 pm