Learn, Grow and Thrive with a Career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. Our staff members—of all ages and from diverse back grounds and life experiences—enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation’s health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
There are many exciting career opportunities with the YMCA. We have listed our current openings below.
Director of Marketing, PR and Communications
The Director of Marketing, PR and Communications will provide leadership and oversight ensuring that all communications support the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
Under the Supervision of the Senior Director of Membership and Marketing, the Director of Marketing, PR and Communications will be responsible for developing and implementing marketing and communication strategies to further the YMCA mission, increase program participation, and drive membership growth and retention.
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, journalism, graphic design or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum three years professional experience in marketing, communications, membership, or related field, including website and social media management experience.
Must be able to edit and write clear, accurate copy and develop creative marketing concepts.
Strong analytical skills and project management experience.
Highly organized team player who demonstrates sound judgment, creativity, initiative and independent thinking.
Must have good interpersonal and communications skills, including ability to create and deliver presentations and handle media inquiries.
Previous experience with voluntary/non-profit organizations preferred.
Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite or InDesign and Illustrator a plus.
Must be proficient in PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
Facility Maintenance Assistant – Part Time
Facility Maintenance Assistants are responsible for maintaining overall safe operation and cleanliness of the facility through general maintenance, inspection and repair. Support the facility/property maintenance department in maintaining upkeep, repair and smooth operation of the Martine Avenue Facility and adjoining rental properties. The ideal candidate has a minimum of one year experience in general facility maintenance and/or a skilled trade/certification; demonstrates initiative and ability to problem solve; is a team player.
Essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Performing routine and preventative maintenance and inspections
- Ensuring day to day upkeep of the facilities and completion of repairs as needed
- Assisting in ensuring that all pools and whirlpool are clean and safe for operation
- Assists in ensuring safe and efficient operation of all equipment and mechanical systems
- Assisting in responding to facility emergencies as needed.
- Completing set-up and break down for YMCA events as scheduled.
- Understanding the organization’s charitable status and mission to assure access for all through active participation in fundraising and philanthropy efforts.
Birthday Party Hosts
We are looking for energetic people to be Birthday Party Hosts who will provide a quality experience for families and children. Birthday parties are held on Saturday afternoons. You can be the life of the party!
- Establishes a positive relationship with parents/children, staff members and volunteers.
- Provide an enjoyable experience while the family/children are participating in a party.
- Oversees supervision of all children; maintain that children are never left alone and are watched at all times.
- Maintain housekeeping after party: damp wipe table surfaces/spills on floor; sweep floor; remove garbage from party room.
- Direct party guests to party rooms/gyms/pool upon their arrival.
- Set up and clean up of tablecloths, paper goods (all-inclusive party).
- Accept delivery of pizza; take cake out of freezer prior to party (all-inclusive party).
- Serve pizza, drinks, cake (all-inclusive party).
- Clean up of food/drinks (all-inclusive party)
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA is seeking experienced Gymnastic Instructors for preschool and school-aged gymnastic classes from beginner through advanced levels. We are looking for instructors who have positive attitudes, are responsible and reliable and love working with kids! Various hours are available including mornings, afternoon/evenings and weekends. The YMCA requires all employees to be current in First Aid & CPR or obtain certification within 30 days of employment and we can provide that training. Coaching opportunities may also be available for qualified candidates.
The Deck Supervisor is responsible for the quality of swim lessons, parent and student engagement and the safety of the pool. This position requires effective communication with staff, volunteers, and parents of program participants; the ability to maintain a professional, respectful, positive attitude toward all members and co-workers; and the ability to supervise, train and evaluate performance of class participants and instructors. Prior experience teaching the Y Swim Lesson Program and Lifeguard certification is necessary.
Water Exercise Instructor
The Water Exercise Instructor is responsible for leading safe and effective exercise classes and for maintaining the highest levels of customer service and professionalism. The ideal candidate will be motivated, energetic, and experienced in teaching to a wide range of ages with the ability to instruct and observe participants in proper skill techniques.
Early Childhood Substitute Teachers
Apply now as a substitute teacher and discover the rewards of accompanying young children through their unique world of exploration, excitement, and delight. Play an important role in the daily routines at our school, working with infants through pre-k aged children! Assist with daily care giving, supervision of designated group, and implementation of curriculum and planned activities under the direct supervision of the Head Teacher. Experience working with children is required. In need of substitutes who are available for early am hours (6:30/6:45am) and late afternoons/evening (3:00pm – 6:30pm).
Looking for a responsible, creative and enthusiastic dance instructor who works well with children ages 3-12. Must be proficient in ballet, tap & jazz; Modern and choreography training a plus. Dance and teaching experience required. Must be able to commit to September-June schedule, plus recitals. If interested, please contact Barbara Breuninger at (908) 889-8880 or email@example.com.
YMCA Lifeguards are responsible for maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Responsibilities include creating a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement by maintaining active surveillance of the pool area; knowing and reviewing all emergency procedures and responding to emergency situations; testing pool water chemistry, and maintaining positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff through consistent application of safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Lifeguard certification is required and previous Lifeguard experience is preferred. Minimum age for this position is 16.
Swim Instructors at the Y provide leadership, instruction and motivation for students learning lifelong skills in swimming classes. Responsibilities include teaching swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guide lines, building effective, authentic relationships with students and parents and helping them connect with each other and the YMCA. Previous experience teaching swim lessons is preferred, but training will be provided. Minimum age for this position is 16.
Swim Coaches will work with our 12/under program. Previous coaching experience and/or competitive swimming experience is preferred. Responsibilities include creating practices, attending staff meetings, and coaching meets. Applicants must be available weekday mornings and weekends during the summer and weekday evenings and weekends during fall, winter, and spring.
Health & Safety Instructor
The Instructor is responsible for the instruction of health and safety classes which may include CPR/AED, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen Administration, and Lifeguarding. Current instructor-level certification through the American Red Cross, American Safety & Health Institute or American Heart Association is required. YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification is preferred. For more information, please contact Ellen Daudelin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Age Child Care Counselors
Provide direct supervision of a group of children during the School Age Child Care Program. Provides a quality experience to children and parents focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Provide supervision of a group of children in the program at all times.
- Plans and implements indoor and outdoor program activities that are developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Attend 20 hours of staff training and development in child growth and development, positive discipline and health and safety procedures.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Reports any and all incidents or accidents to the Site Supervisor.
- Maintains positive relations with parents and other staff. Models relationship-building skills
- Is acquainted with the organization, the equipment, the personnel, and environment of the site.
- Participate and set a positive example that will influence favorable conduct by the children.
- Dresses appropriately for activities, avoiding extremism in clothing, jewelry and shoes.
- Obtain training in the Listen First program and implement it into everyday interactions at the YMCA
- Accountable for understanding the organization’s charitable status and mission to assure access for all through active participation in fundraising and philanthropy efforts.
SACC COUNSELOR QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum age 16.
- Possess basic experience working with children.
- Complete CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of employment.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- Ability to communicate with parents and relate effectively with the children in the program.
- Ability to work as a team with other YMCA staff members.
Seeking multiple candidates to fulfill the following schedules. All positions are Monday through Friday. Please specify schedule preference(s) below on application.
Morning Care Elementary Schools: 6:45 am to 8:45 am
After Care Elementary Schools: 2:45 pm to 6:30 pm
After Care Middle Schools: 2:20 pm to 6:30 pm