Learn, Grow and Thrive with a Career at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. Our staff members—of all ages and from diverse back grounds and life experiences—enjoy the personal satisfaction that comes from nurturing the potential of youth and teens, improving the nation’s health and well-being and providing support to our neighbors.
Learn more about why the Y is a great place to work by viewing our short video here.
There are many exciting career opportunities with the YMCA. We have listed our current openings below.
Associate Aquatics Director
Support in the development, organization and implementation of high-quality, member-focused YMCA aquatic and safety training programs.
YMCA of Fanwood-Scotch Plains
Provide support in the development, organization and implementation of high quality, member-focused YMCA aquatic and safety training programs
- Minimum age 21 with at least 2 years of experience and proven success in a leadership role that includes supervision; for example as an aquatics coordinator.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience teaching swim lessons to all age groups and levels
- Requirements upon date of hire include completion of: Child Abuse Prevention trainings; Lifeguard, CPR; First Aid; AED; Oxygen Administration; Bloodborne Pathogens.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to supervise program activities.
- Assist in recruiting, hiring, training, developing, scheduling and directing personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Monitor daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Work with the Aquatic Director in the calculation, design and monitoring of the program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Supervise aquatic staff and assure all scheduled shifts are properly covered. Substitute, instruct, and assist in all aspects of aquatics programming and lifeguarding as needed.
- Ensure that Lifeguards and Swim Instructors receive appropriate training and education to provide high quality aquatic programs.
- Plan and ensure effective delivery of lifeguard and safety certification programs to staff and the community.
- Plan, coordinate and document monthly cross-departmental emergency drills; provide timely feedback to staff and leadership team
- Host Lifeguard in-service trainings monthly and maintain required documentation.
- Help ensure that all pools are fully utilized and that pool schedules complement each other and maximize member benefit.
- Document data as necessary to maximize pool schedules and class programming and help the Aquatic Director ensure all aquatic registrations are organized and accurate.
- Work with the Aquatic Director to developing fun and innovative ways in which to attract a progressively higher number of families into family aquatic activities.
- Assist in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Participate in YMCA fundraising activities and special events.
- Model relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Participates in staff committee meetings as deemed necessary
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with
a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fundraising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies and initiatives. Builds relationships
to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Current Instructor certification (or ability to obtain within 90 days of employment) for YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguard and Y Swim Lesson Instructor
- Must have or be willing to obtain within one year: Pool Operator Certification
Benefits Include: Health, Life and Long-term Disability Insurance, generous paid time-off, facility membership and 12% retirement contribution.
How to Apply
Apply by Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes Accepted Until 11/2/2018
Birthday Party Hosts – Part Time
We are looking for energetic people to be Birthday Party Hosts who will provide a quality experience for families and children. Birthday parties are held on Saturday afternoons. You can be the life of the party!
- Establishes a positive relationship with parents/children, staff members and volunteers.
- Provide an enjoyable experience while the family/children are participating in a party.
- Oversees supervision of all children; maintain that children are never left alone and are watched at all times.
- Maintain housekeeping after party: damp wipe table surfaces/spills on floor; sweep floor; remove garbage from party room.
- Direct party guests to party rooms/gyms/pool upon their arrival.
- Set up and clean up of tablecloths, paper goods (all-inclusive party).
- Accept delivery of pizza; take cake out of freezer prior to party (all-inclusive party).
- Serve pizza, drinks, cake (all-inclusive party).
- Clean up of food/drinks (all-inclusive party)
Child Watch Assistant – Part Time
The Child Watch Assistant will be responsible for providing a safe and enjoyable environment for children in the Child Watch Room. We are looking for responsible, caring individuals who relate well with young children, members and staff. Previous child care experience required. Hours available are 8:30am-1:30pm Monday-Friday, 5:00pm-8:00pm Monday-Thursday, Saturday 8:00am-1:00pm or Sunday 9:00am-12:00pm. If interested, please apply online.
Dance Instructor – Part Time
Looking for a responsible, creative and enthusiastic dance instructor who works well with children ages 3-12. Must be proficient in ballet, tap & jazz; Modern and choreography training a plus. Dance and teaching experience required. Must be able to commit to September-June schedule, plus recitals. If interested, please contact Barbara Breuninger at (908) 889-8880 or email@example.com.
Deck Supervisor – Part Time
The Deck Supervisor is responsible for the quality of swim lessons, parent and student engagement and the safety of the pool. This position requires effective communication with staff, volunteers, and parents of program participants; the ability to maintain a professional, respectful, positive attitude toward all members and co-workers; and the ability to supervise, train and evaluate performance of class participants and instructors. Prior experience teaching the Y Swim Lesson Program and Lifeguard certification is necessary.
Early Childhood Substitute Teachers
Apply now as a substitute teacher and discover the rewards of accompanying young children through their unique world of exploration, excitement and delight. Play an important role in the daily routines at our school, working with infants through pre-k aged children! Assist with daily care giving, supervision of designated group and implementation of curriculum and planned activities under the direct supervision of the Head Teacher. Experience working with children is required.
Facility Maintenance Assistant – Part Time
Facility Maintenance Assistants are responsible for maintaining overall safe operation and cleanliness of the facility through general maintenance, inspection and repair. Support the facility/property maintenance department in maintaining upkeep, repair and smooth operation of the Martine Avenue Facility and adjoining rental properties. The ideal candidate has a minimum of one year experience in general facility maintenance and/or a skilled trade/certification; demonstrates initiative and ability to problem solve; is a team player.
Essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Performing routine and preventative maintenance and inspections
- Ensuring day to day upkeep of the facilities and completion of repairs as needed
- Assisting in ensuring that all pools and whirlpool are clean and safe for operation
- Assists in ensuring safe and efficient operation of all equipment and mechanical systems
- Assisting in responding to facility emergencies as needed.
- Completing set-up and break down for YMCA events as scheduled.
- Understanding the organization’s charitable status and mission to assure access for all through active participation in fundraising and philanthropy efforts.
Group Fitness Instructors – Part Time
Evenings/Weekends – Cycle, Yoga, Zumba
Instructs group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA’s core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
- Engage in active listening with members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA. Have knowledge of class schedules and other departments/services at the YMCA.
- Keeps accurate class attendance records. Assure careful assimilation of new members into class. Report low attendance to Fitness Director, with knowledge that classes with less than 5 participants are subject to cancellation.
- Punctual set up and break down of class. Obtain substitutes when needed and substitute for others as possible. Notifies Fitness Director of substitute.
- Respond to emergency situations. Provide Fitness Director with incident/accident reports on the same day as the incident.
- Attend all mandatory staff meetings with Senior Program Director, Fitness Director and other fitness staff.
- Maintain fitness certifications in program areas and provides Fitness Director with updated certifications as needed. Maintains CPR and First Aid certifications.
- Required certifications: CPR, First Aid, AED, national certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification.
- Training and competence in areas of expertise.
- YMCA Healthy Lifestyles certification within 60 days of hire recommended.
- At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes preferred.
Gymnastic Instructor – Part Time
The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA is seeking experienced Gymnastic Instructors for preschool and school-aged gymnastic classes from beginner through advanced levels. We are looking for instructors who have positive attitudes, are responsible and reliable and love working with kids! Various hours are available including mornings, afternoon/evenings and weekends. The YMCA requires all employees to be current in First Aid & CPR or obtain certification within 30 days of employment and we can provide that training. Coaching opportunities may also be available for qualified candidates.
Health & Safety Instructor – Part Time
The Instructor is responsible for the instruction of health and safety classes which may include CPR/AED, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen Administration, and Lifeguarding. Current instructor-level certification through the American Red Cross, American Safety & Health Institute or American Heart Association is required. YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification is preferred. For more information, please contact Ellen Daudelin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lifeguards – Part Time
YMCA Lifeguards are responsible for maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Responsibilities include creating a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement by maintaining active surveillance of the pool area; knowing and reviewing all emergency procedures and responding to emergency situations; testing pool water chemistry, and maintaining positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff through consistent application of safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Lifeguard certification is required and previous Lifeguard experience is preferred. Minimum age for this position is 16.
Membership Representative – Part Time
The Membership Representative provides excellent service to all members, guests, and program participants. This position responds to member and guest needs and promotes memberships and programs. Candidates must have excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills and be able to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all segments of the community. Previous customer service, sales or related experience required. If interested, please submit an online application.
School Age Child Care Counselors – Part Time
Provide direct supervision of a group of children during the School Age Child Care Program. Provides a quality experience to children and parents focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Provide supervision of a group of children in the program at all times.
- Plans and implements indoor and outdoor program activities that are developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Attend 20 hours of staff training and development in child growth and development, positive discipline and health and safety procedures.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Reports any and all incidents or accidents to the Site Supervisor.
- Maintains positive relations with parents and other staff. Models relationship-building skills
- Is acquainted with the organization, the equipment, the personnel, and environment of the site.
- Participate and set a positive example that will influence favorable conduct by the children.
- Dresses appropriately for activities, avoiding extremism in clothing, jewelry and shoes.
- Obtain training in the Listen First program and implement it into everyday interactions at the YMCA
- Accountable for understanding the organization’s charitable status and mission to assure access for all through active participation in fundraising and philanthropy efforts.
SACC COUNSELOR QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum age 16.
- Possess basic experience working with children.
- Complete CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of employment.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
- Ability to communicate with parents and relate effectively with the children in the program.
- Ability to work as a team with other YMCA staff members.
Seeking multiple candidates to fulfill the following schedules. All positions are Monday through Friday. Please specify schedule preference(s) below on application.
Morning Care Elementary Schools: 6:45 am to 8:45 am
After Care Elementary Schools: 2:45 pm to 6:30 pm
After Care Middle Schools: 2:20 pm to 6:30 pm
Swim Coaches – Part Time
Swim Coaches will work with our 12/under program. Previous coaching experience and/or competitive swimming experience is preferred. Responsibilities include creating practices, attending staff meetings, and coaching meets. Applicants must be available weekday mornings and weekends during the summer and weekday evenings and weekends during fall, winter, and spring.
Swim Instructor – Part Time
Swim Instructors at the Y provide leadership, instruction and motivation for students learning lifelong skills in swimming classes. Responsibilities include teaching swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guide lines, building effective, authentic relationships with students and parents and helping them connect with each other and the YMCA. Previous experience teaching swim lessons is preferred, but training will be provided. Minimum age for this position is 16.
Water Exercise Instructor – Part Time
The Water Exercise Instructor is responsible for leading safe and effective exercise classes and for maintaining the highest levels of customer service and professionalism. The ideal candidate will be motivated, energetic, and experienced in teaching to a wide range of ages with the ability to instruct and observe participants in proper skill techniques.